Monday 3 August 2020

School Wide Reading Inquiry

This year, we have split our school-wide focus in 2 parts. The first half of the year we looked at Maths and our PD was focused on that. So my CoL inquiry is based around my maths learners. If you would like to check that out, click on this link here --> TAI2020.

This second half the year we are looking at Reading. Rather than change my inquiry, I am aiming to keep track of both. The aim of our reading PD is to make sure we are using the same language, strategies, and understanding when we talk about 'learning to read' across the school from Years 1 to 8. 

To start, we selected a target group that we would work closely with and implement and track the teaching strategies discussed in our PD. Here is my target group I've selected.
The first week of school we observed our students and how they attempted difficult words. Because our first focus is on "learning to read" we were to observe the behaviours/strategies students showed when faced with difficult words. Above are my findings for my target group.

These next two weeks, we are all going to implement (or carry on) Gwyneth Phillips 1st reading prompt. This focusses on students recognising that they had made an error. Here is the prompt we are working on this week. Stay tuned for more prompts and progress reports to come.

1 comment:

  1. Great start Latini! A little tricky to practise these prompts when we're not face to face!!

    ReplyDelete