Friday 8 November 2019

Digital Fluency Intensive #8

Session 8 already! Today's session was all about Devices: 1-1 devices using chromebooks or ipads.
Today's pedagogy was about Cybersmart and more specifically using the right language when talking with our students. Here are the cybersmart lessons available on the Manaiakalani site. Check out my screencastify further down this blog post for a tour through one of the options 'Smart Learner'.
Smart learners - can be as simple as: just like you set your books up with date and ruling pages, set up your docs and google drive so students know the expectations and know the right folders to put their work in.

This smart learner lesson also carried into our session on Hapara - Teacher Dashboard. It was great to see the push for keeping it positive by always displaying dashboard not as a means to threaten kids or x them out of their tabs but rather as a 'norm' and focussing on more positive things like "Great to see ___ moving onto the next task..." We also covered many of the useful options available to us on dashboard. One new thing I found out was that I could see student's blogs which haven't been published yet and also anonymous comments that are highlighted in red. I need to make sure I check this more regularly as I never knew this.

I really enjoyed being in our students shoes and having a go at working off a chromebook and ipad. It definitely makes me realise just how talented students are who are able to draw detailed images on google draw as the touch pad is not as big and easy to manoeuvre as it is on a mac.

Our create challenge was to create a screencastify about one aspect of the cybersmart areas and talk through the lesson plans provided. Check out 'Smart Learner'.



We also registered for the Level 1 Google Exam for next. Looking forward to it.

3 comments:

  1. Kiaora Latini,

    Yes today's session was really insightful. So agree with what you have said in terms of cybersmart- Smart learners - can be as simple as: just like you set your books up with date and ruling pages, set up your docs and google drive so students know the expectations and know the right folders to put their work in.
    Great day today.
    Regards
    Manpreet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was interesting doing the Digital Dig on the chromebook as I haven't used one properly at all and I was slow and frustrated at times. We will also make sure we do again at the beginning of the year, our students did this year but I was away for the first 5 weeks so missed it and am surprised at how many of them I had forgotten and don't use. I think they would be good to have them as signs on the walls of our classroom so might get the kids designing them when doing the dig next year. Easy to follow screencastify thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talofa Latini,
    I enjoyed the opportunity to have a play around on a Chromebook as well. I have never really used one before apart from helping the children out on theirs. I love using Hapara dashboard and I know there is still a lot more I have to learn about it to be using it more effectively.
    Awesome to meet you through the DFI, keep up the awesome work. Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete