Tuesday 28 March 2023

2023 - Term 1 Inquiry

My inquiry this year is still based around reading. I've decided to carry on my inquiry from last year as I had made a start but didn't get to carry out our plan and see it through. My target students are also in the same reading age range as last years. 

Here is my blog post from last years inquiry. 

This year I have 13 students in my target group. 2 boys are reading at 5.6 years old (Level 7 on the colour wheel). 2 are reading at 6.5 years, 2 reading at 7 years old, 5 reading at 7.5 years and 2 reading at 8 years old.  Here is what they look like compared to their ages.


My goals for Term 1 were to set group norms and class routines to ensure students knew what to do each day and to gain some consistency. Although this is my introductory post for my inquiry, being the end of term 1 I can also give a quick update that my 2 reading groups are well established with their routines during reading time. They know where to find the text for the day and where books are located. Their follow up tasks have followed similar layouts that they are able to complete most tasks without assistance, especially help with reading instructions. 

I have many wonderings and thoughts about my target students. They are a combination of second language learners, some with learning difficulties, behavioural problems over the years, as well as frequent absences and general lack of interest in learning. Despite these barriers, I still want to give these students the best opportunities to navigate their own way through reading so they feel even just a bit of confidence in preparing them for high school learning. So far, they have been very open to the types of texts given, and the follow up tasks they are completing. 

Goals for Term 2 
The start of Term start starts with Y8 camp and Y7 step up program. So actual in class learning will not start until week 2. Term 2, I hope to be able to test students 2 or 3 levels higher than where they were placed last year. I will only test them back if they fail the initial first test. 
I am also gathering some resources from past CoL inquiries and MIT teachers who have created sites and resources to address students reading in this age bracket. I have made connections with Kelsey Parrant who has given me some resources around the Purple, Gold and Silver levels to get me started. I'd also like to pair up with Danni Stone as she has a lot of gems on different ways to accelerate learning for students in Year 7 and 8. 

I am definitely looking forward to seeing more student progress in Term 2. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment