Thursday 21 March 2019

Why I've selected this challenge

Describe how and why you have selected this challenge of student learning. Locate your inquiry in the context of patterns of student learning in Manaiakalani overall.

My inquiry has been selected from the Woolf Fisher research findings shared with our Manaiakalani Cluster in February of this year.
The above is our cluster data for the PAT Reading Mean Scale Score by Year levels and ethnicity. The 4th and 5th box relate to my Year 7 & 8 students and more specifically the Maori and Pasifika students who are my target group. (Yellow and light blue line)

A closer inspection would be this graph looking at our Pt England School data for reading.

To help me get to know my learners better, and get a picture of just how much (or little) progress they've made throughout their schooling years here at Pt England, I took a look through their black folders. Here are some of the things I found of interest and may help me in understanding exactly what in their learning these students are "stuck" with.
Of these 8 students, 3 are off to College next year. THIS is why I've selected this challenge. What can I do to help these students cope with the work load, general learning, and expectations of College. What skills, strategies can they take with them to help them be independent learners?

No comments:

Post a Comment