Friday 30 August 2019

Digital Fluency Intensive #1

I have been looking forward to my chance to join the DFI course and finally I've made it in cohort #3. An exciting start jam packed with an enormous amount of knowledge, tricks and quick fixes which would all add towards making my teaching life a lot more manageable in our Google world.

We are very fortunate to have quite a packed class in this cohort as it makes for more rich sharing of experiences from novices and experts alike.
Having been at Pt England and therefore part of Manaiakalani for the last 5 years, I was immediately immersed in the Learn, Create, Share pedagogy which has become just what we do as teachers. Something new and interesting I found out today during Dorothy's coverage of the 'Origins of Manaiakalani' was that this was born out of classroom teachers literacy learning cycles and the realisation that we were actually already doing Learning, Creating and Sharing just in smaller settings and maybe using different academic language.

One of the things I really enjoy about DFI so far is the set out/ layout in which the course is delivered I've shared this in my top tips poster below (which is a big achievement in itself as it is made in google docs!). This is using the Deep Diving, Chalk 'n Talk, Explore and Levelling Up model. It definitely felt like all those things and I particularly enjoyed the levelling up so that if we felt up to the challenge, there is still more to be learnt, or we could choose to stay and keep familiarising ourselves with some of the things we've covered already.

My biggest takeaway is the amazing wonders of google docs. One thing I could share with my students come Monday would be the explore button on docs which only give you images that are free and good to use with citations already imbedded.
One thing I will be working on is to do a complete Marie Kondo of my drive so my folders for the last 5 years are more organised.

There is so much more I have picked up and can't wait to revisit. This is also made easy as everything is rewindable and constantly being updated for us. So I've had such an enjoyable 1st session and am looking forward to our next DFI session. I also highly recommend EVERYONE needs to make sure they do this course.


2 comments:

  1. I also really liked the use of the Deep Diving, Chalk 'n Talk, Explore and Levelling Up model. The words used and images seem very clear, appealing and relevant to the activity of each section. I think my drive would definitely benefit from the Marie Kondo but I need to watch the media about this to understand how to do it. It seems daunting. Keeping up with all the information in the course is formidable so the rewindable componentI am grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Latini, this is a great graphic you have created using the humble doc. Looking at it I wondered if this idea (creating a graphic in docs) could be another way to get yr 7/8 learners to 'organise' information you gave them during a reading session? I was thinking that if you gave them a doc with text on it to read, would they find it fun to create a graphic inside the doc by grouping the text under different headings inside a table- and add images to make it more visually appealing?
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete