Friday 6 September 2019

Digital Fluency Intensive #2

Day 2 of our DFI course brought more learning about our Manaiakalani Kaupapa as well as exposing us to areas of the GSuite we have yet to use.

One of my takeaways from the AKO section of the Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy was RATE. Recognise, Amplify, Turbocharge, Effective Teaching. This led me to a very useful blog post from one of my team members which triggered all the learning that took place in one of our Learn staff meetings at the start of the year. Here is a link to Kiriwai's blog post.

One of my biggest takeaways was from our deep diving session about Google KEEP.
Normally during a DFI session, I would make quick notes on my phone using Samsung notes so I could remember the things I needed to go back and have a look at and the most useful things for me and my class to start using. With google keep, I can use this on anything google on my laptop as well as on my phone and it would update immediately. Here's a list of all the things google keep can do which include: can take photos, shopping list, can draw, can get notes or comments shared across team and plug then in along docs and so much more. The best and most useful part of google keep which I will definitely be using in my class is the fact that it can grab text from an image! I could take a photo of a piece of text from a book and using google keep, extract the text from the photo and have students use this in docs for students to highlight and write notes/comments next to it.

Something that I could use with my team this coming holidays would be our session on google hangouts. This enabled us to talk to each other in a group setting and screen sharing. We combined this with quicktime player to record our google hangout. We trialled this in small groups of 3 so here is a short video of myself sharing with Jenny and Elena.

No comments:

Post a Comment