Monday 23 September 2019

End of Term 3 Update

As Term 3 comes to an end, I feel like I have lost a bit of my focus and traction with my target group and the goals we had set at the start of the term. I will be using the holiday break to review where I am in my inquiry and how best to go forward into such a busy Term 4 and still make the most of it for my group of learners.

What I can report on are the testing behaviours and results for their running records for the end of this term. Here are the levels or reading ages from the end of 2018 to now.



I have shown these shifts to each individual in my target group and I don't think they truely understood the enormity of their success until I showed their progress from the last 3 years where they hardly made any shift at all. Once this sunk in, they were absolutely excited and ready to take another test now! We talked about what this means for them, what they can now do and couldn't do before, and we also covered what they need to work on individually in order to keep doing better in the next test. My next task is to set them up to take PAT tests to the best of their ability.

One of my hypotheses I was keeping track of throughout the year is being test ready. I covered this briefly in my End of Term 2 update. My actual notes during testing look like this on the right -->

But a more cohesive version of notes for their behaviours and actions during testing are below. Although I had 1student missing from this testing, I do hope to catch him before the end of the term of early in week 1 next term.

Additional information: I've shared this post with my school-wide inquiry group as well as my Team 5 group of teachers. They have helped me by adding notes and comments to students behaviours outside my class and what they are like with them. Here I am reminded that some students have other needs. An example is student AT, who actually needs to ensure he is taking his meds for ADHD as his behaviour shows he is not. His home class teacher has also given extra information that may help me better cater for him next term.

No comments:

Post a Comment